It is with deep regret that we must inform you of the unfortunate cancellation of our highly anticipated Kettle Mettle Gravel Fondo, originally scheduled for September 15/16.
This decision has been necessitated by an unforeseen road closure along our planned route, rendering it impossible for us to proceed with the event as originally intended. Specifically, Highway 97 has been closed from Callan Road to Okanagan Lake Provincial Park, encompassing a stretch of 1.6 km to 1 km north of Summerland.
The closure between Peachland and Summerland, which was beyond our control, poses significant safety concerns for our participants. We prioritize the safety and well-being of all participants, and given the circumstances, it would be irresponsible to proceed with the event. The Ministry of Transportation cannot provide us with a definitive outline of the repair schedule, and they could not assure us of the availability or usability of our designated routes.
Several key factors contributing to this decision include:
- Shared gravel routes with regular vehicular traffic and heavy equipment vehicles, which are typically absent from our event routes.
- The inability for our shuttle buses to navigate through the detours.
- Currently, the detour routes Trout Creek Main FSR and OK Falls 201 FSR have added a minimum if 60-90+ minutes of travel 1-way.
- Vehicle and truck traffic has significantly increased on the KVR course section between Chute Lake and Kelowna (Gilliard FSR), and is now considered unsafe. This section is not listed as an alternative route and it is not recommended by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MOTI).
- Impediments to our medical and event teams' access due to the detours.
- Implementation of one-way traffic on alternative routes.
Unpredictable road closures and an uncertain timeline for any reopening, as communicated by the MOTI.
We fully understand and share the disappointment that many of you are undoubtedly feeling. Our dedicated team and passionate ambassadors have invested substantial effort in planning and preparing for this event, and we had envisioned an unforgettable day of gravel cycling together.
For those who have already registered for the event, expect to receive an email containing further details. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this cancellation may cause and are profoundly grateful for your understanding amidst these unforeseen circumstances.
Once more, we sincerely apologize for the cancellation of Kettle Mettle. We empathize with your disappointment and share in your enthusiasm to ride together.
Your understanding and support are greatly appreciated. We eagerly anticipate the opportunity to ride alongside you in the future.